Friday, January 30, 2009

Imply vs. Infer

Some use these interchangeably, but there really is a difference that should be observed.

Imply means to to hint or suggest. Infer means to draw a conclusion.

I try to remember the difference between the two by thinking that "imply" is something that is done to you. Someone implies that you are a nincompoop. "Infer" is something that we do...based on hearing someone's remarks, we infer that they are a nincompoop. Or sometimes I think of it in dramatic, cinematic terms. I say to the bad guy, "Just what are you implying with your remarks?" He says to me, "I'm not sure. What are you inferring?"

4 comments:

Ken Riches said...

What are you inferring? :o)

Beth said...

I see my dear husband is letting out his inner clown. LOL

Big Mark 243 said...

I am inferring that the both of you take any available opportunity to be silly with one another.

That is sooo cute!

Lori said...

I like your dramatic, cinematic example! Good post!